Slip and fall accidents can occur at any time, in any place. Sometimes, the incident is the fault of the victim, especially if there ignored signage showing a potential hazard. In other situations, the property owner is responsible for the accident. If you’re injured in a slip and fall accident that was due to the fault or negligence of someone else, then you may have the right to file a personal injury claim. An experienced West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Accident Attorney can help you fight for fair compensation and ensure your rights are well-protected. Here are some important details to know about Slip and Fall Accidents in Florida.
What are Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents occur when a person trips or slips and falls and becomes hurt. The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), estimates that slip and falls account for over 1 million hospital emergency room visits annually. According to the Florida Department of Health, falls are the leading cause of injury death among Florida residents aged 65 years and older and the fourth leading cause of injury death overall.
At Felice & Ehrlich Attorneys at Law, we understand that the Florida legal system can be daunting and complex for accident victims without legal experience. Our West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Attorneys can take on the legal challenge and help you seek the justice that you deserve.
What Are Some Common Injuries Sustained from Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall injuries range from minor to severe. Since slip and falls can occur at any time and can change your life in an instant. It is essential to understand the most common types of injuries that emanate from slip and falls.
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cranial injuries
- Cuts and braises
What Is the Biggest Cause of Slip and Fall Accidents in Florida?
There are many causes of slip and all accidents. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), reports that over 2 million fall injuries annually are caused by floors and flooring materials. Other common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Uneven surfaces
- Spilled liquid
- Defective thresholds
- Hidden holes
- Obstructed walkways
- Broken steps
- Debris in pathways
How Do You Prove Negligence in a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you want to recover compensation for your slip and fall accident, it is best to enlist the services of a proficient Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL. The lawyer will help you prove the following:
- The other party knew that the condition, but did nothing to correct it
- The dangers occur long enough that the property owner should have found it and rectified it.
What are the Various Categories of Compensation in a Slip and Fall Accident Claim?
There are two types of compensatory damages that can be awarded in a slip and fall case:
- General Compensatory Damages
These types of awards aim to compensate the victim for damages that are deemed non-monetary, such as:
- Loss of companionship or care
- Mental anxiety
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Special Compensatory Damages
They are awarded if the injured person incurred a financial loss as a result of the accident. The goal of special compensatory damages is to make the injured person whole again and restore their financial situation to where it was before the incident. Examples of special compensatory damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income or wages
- Household bills and necessitates
- Cost of future medical services required
- Property damages
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Attorney fees
There are many factors that are taken into account when determining settlements in a slip and fall case. Negligence and liability are the two major components of discovery, but the injured person must be free from the blame of injuries that are sustained.
What is the Time Limit for Filing a Florida Slip and Fall Accident Case?
In Florida, the statute of limitations for filing a slip and fall accident against a property owner is four years after the incident occurred on the property. If you miss this deadline, your case will be dismissed unless a rare exception applies to your case. An experienced Accident Attorney can complete the necessary paperwork correctly and ensure that your case is filed on time. It is highly advisable that you file your claim within the shortest time possible as this gives you more time to build your case, negotiate with insurance adjusters and the defendant’s legal team.
How Can Attorney Help With Your Slip and Fall Case?
Hiring an experienced accident attorney is one of the most important steps you can take in your slip and fall case. Aside from providing you with reliable legal advice, your attorney can help you:
- Proving Fault: To sustain your burden of proof in slip and fall cases, you must have evidence. Your lawyer will use all the available evidence, including accident scene photos and witness testimony to prove the property owner’s liability.
- Filing the Case: Your lawyer will help you complete all the paperwork correctly and ensure that all the necessary documentations are submitted to the right judicial system representatives. This will help to avoid delays on the date of the hearing.
- Address Allegations of Comparative Negligence: The property owner may claim you are to blame for the incident. An experienced West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Accident Attorney can collect sufficient evidence to counter any allegations of negligence and liability for your accident.
- Out of Court Negotiations: In some cases, the property will want to avoid going to court and offer to settle before going to trial. Your attorney will handle all negotiations on your behalf and ensure that you get the rightful compensation.
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident that was due to carelessness or negligence of the property, do not hesitate to contact a seasoned Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL. The lawyer will walk you via every step of your case and all your questions. They will help you build a strong case against the property owner and their insurance company and help you recover fair compensation.